Saturday, April 28, 2012

Mama said there'd be days like this...

      This is the first weekend we didn't have anything big planned.  I was so looking forward to catching up on housework, spending fun time with my boys, and maybe even sneaking in a quick nap.  Here's how the day has unfolded so far:

11pm-Henry wakes up
1am-  Henry wakes up
3:30am-Henry wakes up
4:30am- Henry wakes up
5:45am-Henry wakes up, and is up for the day!
7:55am-Lucy gets out of the yard and a neighbor has to return her.  Sam is not happy to see her.
8:00am-Sam has to take our dog to the vet for shots and to check on sores he has all over his ears from the biting flies that have taken over our backyard.  Gross.
9:00am-  Sam has to go to Keller to get tax stuff, to Ft. Worth, then to Alvarado to drop of paperwork.  In the middle of his errands, he bring me a Dr. Pepper from Quik Trip.  It's like carbonated manna from heaven.
*Meanwhile, back at the ranch....
9:00am-12:00pm  Henry screams.  We walked outside, put him in the bathtub, went on the swing outside, rocked, paced, let him pull my hair.  Nothing works.  I get 1 load of laundry started.  That's it.
    I'm hungry.  I haven't gone to the store for groceries in a long time, but I  find a frozen corn dog in the freezer.  Henry is somewhat quiet outside, so I take my lunch out to the front yard.  I stand barefoot, dirty, holding my baby, and eating a corn dog in the front yard.  Don't worry Mom and Dad, I'm representing my classy East Texan heritage well.
12:30pm-Henry starts to vomit all over me.  I'm not talking a little spit-up, I'm talking projectile vomit from deep in his tummy.  I change clothes twice, and each time he continues to throw up everywhere.
1:00pm-Check-in at CareNow.
1:15pm-Henry continues to vomit, so we cancel at CareNow and head to Cook's Children Urgent Care
2:00pm-check in at Cook's, and to sit next to the two loudest children I have seen in awhile.  I want to spank them.  I have not washed my hair in 2 days, smell like vomit, and have not managed to put on makeup or brush my teeth today.  White trash.  Meanwhile Henry is so lethargic he can't stay awake and is just limp.
2:30-4:00pm-They decide he has a virus, give him meds, have me wait 15 minutes then feed him, and send us on our way.  We are trapped in a curtained room with Spongebob Squarepants on tv.
4:15pm- we get home and Henry is still lethargic, but finally asleep.  Sam starts the yard work that he has planned on doing today.  I take this opportunity to lay in the bathtub and eat a bag of SunChips.
5:30pm-Henry wakes up screaming.  We try feeding him, bathing him, etc.  Nothing.  Lucy continues to get out of the yard and roam the neighborhood throughout the evening.
6:30pm-Sam attempts dinner.  I forgot to buy tomato paste, so I put on my super sexy basketball shorts with stains on them, a dirty t-shirt, and head to Big Lots.  Still no makeup, hair is wet, still haven't brushed my teeth.
6:45pm-No tomato paste.  Off-brand tomato sauce will work, right?
7:15-8:15pm   We try to eat, Henry screams.  He will only calm down when Sam holds him.
9:15pm-both boys are currently passed out on the couch.  Lucy has figured out how to get out of her kennel in the garage.  Lucy is rummaging around in the garage.  I don't even care.
     Anyone want a German Shorthair Pointer??  Seriously.

5 lessons I've learned from the day:
1. Showers are overrated.  And no one cares if your hair is piled on top of your head and you look rough, to  put it delicately.
2. I never thought I could be covered in another human's vomit and not get sick myself.  It really is different when it's your own child's vomit!  There is something sweet about a baby in only a diaper snuggled up on you.
3. Never buy a German Shorthaired Pointer.  If someone tries to give you one, run far, far away and don't be friends with them anymore.
4. My husband is amazing.  I already knew this, but I just need to reiterate this point.  He ran errands today, took care of house stuff, took care of our sick child, brought me a Dr. Pepper, cooked dinner...amazing.
5. Some days you just need to sit in the tub with a bag of SunChips.











4 comments:

  1. Amy. I love you. You just made me laugh so loud. Only because we have been there. I wish I could lend a hand, but I dont have one to give currently so I will say a prayer for you my sweet and painfully funny friend. BIG HUGS right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you!! I also love knowing that I'm not the only one who doesn't get my teeth brushed first thing in the morning or who goes out looking "rough"!! Although, with three kids 2 and under myself, I should probably be telling you that you're normal instead of learning it from you!! Praying for you. I've totally been there. It does get better. If we lived closer and I had a vehicle, I'd so come help you out. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, oh girl! I love ya! The trials with your german short haired pointer hit close to home, been there so many times and that alone would have done me in. You are an amazing mother and Hank is so blessed to have you and Sam loving and caring for him! Love you guys and pray your sweet boy feels better again real soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy I'm so sorry to say you gave me a big chuckle out of this one! It will get better I promise. Hank is very blessed to have such loving and caring parents. As for the sweet dog I have ruled out big dogs after we lost our last lab. I love them but I had to move to smaller dogs that couldn't jump fences...lol.

    ReplyDelete